Saturday, May 23, 2009

18th Annual Minitex Interlibrary Loan Conference - May 19, 2009

I enjoyed attending my first ILL conference. Marshall Breedings' morning presentation (Next Generation Library Automation and Its Implications for Resource Sharing) was thought-provoking. As he described it, this is his 'niche.' His Library Technology Guides will be worthwhile to keep tabs on: http://librarytechnology.org/. He is very involved in the OLE project which we also have heard about at previous MnPALS meetings.

During the MINITEX Update, Bill DeJohn mentioned a resource for licensing and e-journals: http://librarycopyright.net/ . I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but this topic is of interest to me so I anticipate I will explore it a bit more in the future.

The afternoon session was more hands-on and was led by Ray Wilson: Seven Quality Improvement Tools for your Workplace. The tools he reviewed were * Agenda * Affinity Diagram * Check Sheet * Operational Definition * Pareto Chart * Cause & Effect (Fishbone) * Cause Analysis * Force Field * Multivoting * Plus/Delta. I had heard of many of these before, but it's always good to have a refresher and to find ways to immediately implement some of them.

No comments: