Saturday, May 23, 2009

Thing 27 - Twitter

I've been hearing about Twitter more and more, but had never taken the time to go out and look at it. I didn't realize the posts were to be so short!! That is a tough task to keep things that concise.
My Twitter site is: https://twitter.com/psukalski

I'm not sure I'll continue to use this tool. Maybe if I find a handful of cutting edge librarians to follow I will be interested in reading others' tweets. At this time, I'm not seeing how my posting in here will be beneficial. As I watched the YouTube video about it, the emphasis there was on the Social Network side of Twitter and asking questions for people to respond to as they would in a conversation. I have kept up with my Facebook account since starting that in the first round and have found it useful and fun on a personal level; I've kept that more on the personal-only side by connecting with high school and college friends and not looking for professional connections there. Perhaps Twitter can fill the professional side for me and I can connect with more librarians throughout the state and country.

I looked at the Luria Library Twitter site and it is mostly hours and campus updates. I can see this as way for libraries to keep in touch with their patrons who are on Twitter. I suppose the success of the tool would depend on how many relevant posts there are to make and how many in your clientele are on Twitter.

No comments: