Sunday, May 24, 2009

Thing 29 - Google Tools

I decided to explore the Google Web History. I can see this as a useful tool. For me I think I would use it more at home than at work. At work I am more apt to bookmark useful sites and/or add them to my del.icio.us account. I know I've had times when I've done a search for something and can't recall what the web address was...it would be great to have this history to refer back to. I'm not overly concerned with the privacy issue for a couple of reasons: 1) it does require that you log in and use your own login and password to access your search histories and 2) I wouldn't be looking for anything that could be deemed illegal or otherwise concerning from the perspective that I wouldn't want others to know what I was searching for or what I had found.

One drawback for me of this tool is the recommendation to download a Google Tool Bar. I chose not to do that so I only have the option to see the history of my web searches right now. In their prompt suggesting you download the Tool bar they say that it will help you bookmark pages more easily. My first thought was that is what I use del.icio.us for!

For the Productivity section I decided to stick with MyYahoo Calendar rather than set up another one in Google. I had mentioned in an earlier post that I've used MyYahoo Calendar for social engagements with friends. It worked well and we were able to share our calendars and coordinate that way. I do see value in these tools in the workplace as well. I think organizations may use an internal product like Microsoft Outlook which has sharing capabilities as well. Many times it may be what most people are comfortable using.

I loved the "advertisement" for the Goog-411. I'm not sure I would have much cause to use it, but I think the concept is great! I'd be interested in hearing from others if they've used it successfully...I think I just came up with something to Twitter!!!

No comments: