Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thing 7 - Web 2.0 Communication Tools

This one made me feel pretty 'with it' as I've used all of these W2 tools...and use most of them regularly! :)

Email -- on it all the time. I read the productivity comments. I could do better at managing my email...
IM -- I like the idea of IMing the reference librarian. Our library utilizes at Chat function which is pretty similar - except you don't have to be on the same IM service as your patron. We don't get a ton of chat traffic though...maybe it would be higher on IM. I'd be more than happy to try it as I use it regularly for personal use. We do have an IM function through work, but not everyone knows about (i.e., it isn't really advertised), but there are certain colleagues I use it with regularly.
Text Messaging -- I really got into this about a year ago. It is the handiest thing for me! I like the video with the texting librarian - I could do that as well (if I get a phone through work that pays the bill, that is :) The article about integrating with an ILS is very cool -- I'm all for that, streamline as much as possible. Again, I am regular texter -- every day, most likely multiple times a day with multiple people.
Web Conferencing -- I took a look at the OPAL presentation on flickr + libraries - a March 2007 presentation. Very smooth. I hadn't done one of those before. I do take part in Web Conferencing regularly through MnPALS consortium and have done a number of Minitex ones as well. I've also hosted a Web Conferencing meeting (MnScu uses WebEx) and as a matter of fact, just set up an Audio Conferencing meeting this morning!

No comments: